Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Guess who's coming to dinner 45 years late?


In case there was any doubt, the answer is me. I cannot believe that I waited this long to see Guess Who's Coming to Dinner but more importantly, I cannot believe how moved I was by this story that could not be more relevant today. 



And though I hope that race relations and the social context of the sixties will become dated by the time you are of age to watch this film, the realist in me tells me they will not. It is so bitter-sweet that this film has aged so well. But it is also endearing on so many levels. Sidney Poitier is very simply flawless as Dr. John Prentice and his exchange with his father hit closer to home than I hope it never does for you. Moreover, the heartbreaking romance between off-screen couple Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey that you simply cannot detach from the fact that Hepburn was watching her true love dying in real life makes their chemistry unique and outstanding. Now that may sound sappy but I challenge you to not be moved by a tearful Hepburn in the background during Tracey's famous monologue when reminded that he died a mere 17 days after production ended.

On one hand, I cannot ignore the fact that when this was first released to theatres in 1967, intermarriage between blacks and whites was still illegal in 14 U.S. states. That in itself is mind-blowing and certainly puts the story into context. However, as I write this, we are living in an era of the first African American president and the same rhetoric remains pervasive. I know in my heart that when you first bring someone home for dinner, I may be defensive but this film, among other experiences, will bring me back to a dream-reality that I  hope for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment